Student well-being

VYY leima

Student well-being

VYY wants to promote mental and physical well-being in their members’ everyday life by maintaining and improving their ability to study in terms of health care, housing, income, well-being and time management. Our most important collaboration partners in this endeavour are the University of Vaasa, the Finnish Student Health Service FSHS and Vaasa Student Housing VOAS.


The Finnish Student Health Service FSHS offers health (general health, oral health, mental health) services to university students. FSHS services are available to all bachelors and masters’ degree students of Finnish universities at all FSHS locations around Finland. If you are an exchange student, you are not allowed to use FSHS services. The FSHS collects a student healthcare fee every semester, which is paid to KELA. The FSHS fee is a mandatory payment for degree students and you need to pay it even if you don’t use FSHS services or live in another country.

More information about the Student healthcare fee can be found from Kela’s webpage.

FSHS office in Vaasa, Finland, can be found at the address Wolffintie 27-31 and 30, 65200 Vaasa


The Student Housing Foundation in Vaasa, VOAS provides student accommodation in Vaasa.  The student housing situation in Vaasa is relatively good. There are plenty of apartments and the rent is reasonable. The greatest demand for apartments is from August to October, but at other times homes are available easily.

Also, city owned rental apartments are available from Pikipruukki Oy.


As a student of the University of Vaasa you can apply for financial aid through Kela’s online services.

The student financial aid is mainly meant for Finnish citizens. However you may qualify for financial aid if:

  • you have been granted a continuous (A) or permanent (P) residence permit or an EU residence permit for third-country nationals (P-EU or P-EY) or a residence card as referred to in the withdrawal agreement between the EU and the United Kingdom.
  • If you are a citizen of another EU or EEA country or of Switzerland, the family member of such a person, or a citizen of a Nordic country, you only have to register your right of residence or present your residence card.
  • if you are living in Finland permanently and you have arrived in Finland for some other reason than to study. Such a reason can for example be employment, family ties or return migration

More information can be found on Kela’s website.

As a student you are also eligible for general housing allowance.

VYY also strives to provide job opportunities for students. A good opportunity to explore future employers or to look for summer jobs is at the Contact recruiting fair held annually at the end of January. At the fair, students can establish contacts with future employers, as well as browse available summer jobs. Traditionally, the fair includes also a CV clinic, where students can polish their job search tactics with the assistance of professionals.

The University of Vaasa Career Services will also provide guidance on employment and training.

Students are entitled to Vaasa city social welfare services and, under certain conditions, to income support. For more details, please see the Vaasa City webpage.

In all matters relating to income you can contact the Student Union’s Specialist in Students Interests.

Studies not progressing - who can I turn to?

Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS)

Mental health problems are the most common university student health problems. Mental health can be compromised due to issues related to studying or other everyday life issues. Help on issues related to mental health can be obtained from FSHS health care and nurses, general practitioners, specialist nurses and social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists. Book an FSHS appointment.

Study psychologist

The University of Vaasa employs a study psychologist, who is specialized in the psychology of learning, counselling and advising. You can discuss personal issues related to your studies, such as study motivation, fatique and anxiety, confidentially with the study psychologist. 

Study counselor 

All study programs have study counselors who you can ask questions regarding your study program, they can give guidance and you can discuss with them about your personal study plans.

More information on University of Vaasa's website.

University chaplain

The university chaplain is a Chaplain of the Vaasa Evangelical Lutheran congregation. You can contact the Chaplain and arrange an appointment if you feel you are in need of a private, confidential discussion and support. These can be matters related to, for instance, human relations, crisis situations in your own life or in those of your love ones, quality of life, religious matters, workload or stress from studying and study fatique. You can also ask for advice on all church services, adult confirmation classes or church related activities. The university chaplain is bound by absolute professional confidentiality.

Contact: Chaplain Timo Kaukomaa, puh. 044 480 8218.

For more information, please visit the Evangelical Lutheran Parish Union of Vaasa website.

University sport services

University sport services are organized by the University. VYY wants to ensure that sport services will be developed and a wide range of options is offered in order to mobilize the students and motivate them to take care of their physical well-being. If you do not find a suitable form of exercise, contact us and tell us your needs, so we can provide better options for you. 

More information on sports services is available on the University website. University sports also has their own Facebook page.

University's sports services